FAQ  •  Login

Reaction Forces and Torques

<<

danielpiombino

Unread post Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Reaction Forces and Torques

This may be a dumb question, but I don't remember and can't find it expressly written in the slides. When we solve for the reaction forces and torques from lambda (say with the EQ in slide 12 of the 10/10 lecture) what reference frame and point on the body do those correspond to? I assumed they were in local reference frame and acted on the origin of that frame (so for the single pendulum at point O'), but my values don't appear to be correct, and I'm not sure if they're in the wrong frame or if I made a separate mistake.

Thanks,

-Dan
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Re: Reaction Forces and Torques

Forces: global reference frame, acting at the center of mass.
Torque: expressed in local reference frame, with respect to the center of mass (the cetroidal reference frame).

Dan, i didn't find any reaction forces on slide 12 for 10/10 lecture.
Are you sure about the date/slide number?
Dan
<<

danielpiombino

Unread post Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Re: Reaction Forces and Torques

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the red matrix equation on that slide could be used to calculate the reaction forces and torques. It seemed to make sense in my head as well since when you multiply out the left side of the equation you get the contribution to the sum of forces that isn't an applied or inertia force and the contribution to the sum of torques that isn't applied or inertial.

-Dan

Return to ME751 Fall 2016