FAQ  •  Login

Known issues w/ posting on the forum (and potential fixes)

<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:13 pm

Known issues w/ posting on the forum (and potential fixes)

I'm starting this thread in an attempt to compile a list of known issues with the process of forum posting.
As Hammad pointed out in this post: http://sbel.wisc.edu/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=662, there are security reasons why the server running under CAE prevents us from posting things.

Please post here a synopsis of any problem you had when attempting a post and how you solved it (if you did). Solving these posting errors most often requires some hoop jumping, for which I apologize.

In case you wonder why I host this on the CAE server: I want to have each generation of students be able to go and search the previous generation's posts. For instance, for 2013, all the posts are here: http://sbel.wisc.edu/Forum/viewforum.php?f=15.

See you in class,

Dan
<<

guimingzhang

Unread post Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:55 pm

Re: Known issues w/ posting on the forum (and potential fixe

NEVER MIND, IT SEEMS THE PAGE JUST REFRESHED AND I SAW A "NEW TOPIC" BUTTON THERE. THE QUESTION ON HOW TO UPLOAD SCREENSHOTS REMAINS THOUGH.

I am wondering how I can start a new post. I looked carefully all over the page on which all active posts are shown but could not find a button for starting a new post. I can only reply post.

Also, can I somehow upload a screenshot?
<<

HammadM

Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Unread post Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:17 pm

To attach a screenshot click on the "Upload attachment" tab (below the submit button when replying to a post)

Then select the attachment and click the attach button
Attachments
screenshot_.png
screenshot_.png (279.06 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
<<

ianmarsh

Unread post Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:52 am

It appears that when attempting to quote an earlier post in a given topic that the forum doesn't allow you to post your reply. When I say "quote an earlier post", I am referring to using the "quote" button on the bottom right of the post you want to reply to.

Edit: actually the quoting tool just worked for me when I tested it in another topic. Weird. It seems like it depends on the post you are quoting whether or not it will allow it.

Ian
<<

ianmarsh

Unread post Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:54 am

ianmarsh wrote:It appears that when attempting to quote an earlier post in a given topic that the forum doesn't allow you to post your reply. When I say "quote an earlier post", I am referring to using the "quote" button on the bottom right of the post you want to reply to.

Edit: actually the quoting tool just worked for me when I tested it in another topic. Weird. It seems like it depends on the post you are quoting whether or not it will allow it.

Ian

So apparently I can quote my own post, but when I try to quote the first post by Professor Negrut, I get the following message:

Your browser sent a request that this server rejected, possibly due to security scanner restrictions.

RequestID: Ve8ErJBcDXkAACTiK40AAAAI
<<

kalinkiesling

Unread post Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:47 pm

I could not make post earlier that had forward slashes in it (assuming it was the forward slashes). I was trying to write out a path to a directory and I kept getting an error message. Once I removed the path, it worked. This might have something to do with the security issues mentioned earlier.

Kalin
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:01 pm

kalinkiesling wrote:I could not make post earlier that had forward slashes in it (assuming it was the forward slashes). I was trying to write out a path to a directory and I kept getting an error message. Once I removed the path, it worked. This might have something to do with the security issues mentioned earlier.

Kalin

Here's one possible solution: use a dot "." instead of a slash and indicate this in the post.
Dan
<<

lunchengchu

Unread post Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:54 pm

When I try to access 2013 forum (viewforum.php?f=15),
it said: "You are not authorised to read this forum."

Does anyone encounter the same issue?

Return to ME759 Fall 2015: High Performance Computing