FAQ  •  Login

HELP! Inventor/SolidWorks to MSC Adams

Moderators: Dan Negrut, RaduS

<<

f14-jbhoward

Unread post Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:05 pm

HELP! Inventor/SolidWorks to MSC Adams

Hello all,

I've been working on my final project which involves some 3D-modelling of some engine components. I have built the parts and assemblies correctly, but Adams will not let me import .iam, .ipt, .step, or .stp file extensions. Something about the license on the software not allowing the import. The exact error in the command prompt reads:

ERROR: You are not licensed to use the Interop translator. To proceed select another command or contact MSC.Software for a license

Additionally, a pop-up displays the license error: MSC_LICENSE_FILE = 27500@msc.license.cae.wisc.edu

I'm not sure what my teammate and I are supposed to do to get around this problem, because it is crucial for our project for us to model this in Adams. I have gotten the the whole assembly to import as a single part using the .iges file extenstion but that isn't very helpful. If I import a .iges file for simple part it imports but it will only import as a polygon shell. If I try importing it as a solid the whole program crashes.

-James
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: HELP! Inventor/SolidWorks to MSC Adams

James - i'm on the road and can't do much about this right now. Moreover, i haven't worked on this side of things and my knowledge is limited.
let me ask a couple of friends to see if they can help.
stay tuned.
Dan
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:16 pm

here's a first reply form a German guy, came in a minute ago.
It seems that this is feature problem.

For native import of CAD data - inventor, solidworks - you need an additional license for adams/exchange.

1st. Workaround would be to use parasolid exported files from the CAD software.

If I now it correct MSC changed the 3D-enginge in 2014. It could be that this new version supports native import, too but I don’t know, you have to test it.

2nd Workaround use the newer release 2014.

PS: by the way, the new 3D-engine is a German product - if this is good, I don’t know….
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:08 pm

Here's the second reply from a former student who works at Ford.

. If there is an assembly in a CAD package, then it can be exported as a parasolid. Parasolid file format will not merge the individual solids in the assembly to make them a single lumped solid. Instead, it will maintain individual solids and make them separate parts. Adams will also snap to centers of circular faces and vertices. Hence, it is convenient to create an assembly in a CAD package, make cylinders/spheres etc at locations where there needs to be an attachment between the components (a joint) and then export it as a parasolid. So, when brought into adams, it will have maintained separate parts + the locations for creating constraints are readily available.

Return to ME451 Fall 2014: Kinematics and Dynamics of Machine Systems