FAQ  •  Login

Final Exam format

Moderator: RaduS

<<

RaduS

Unread post Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Final Exam format

The final exam for ME451 will take place on Tuesday, December 17 from 7:45-9:45 am in room ME 2109.

Part of the exam will consist of running your simEngine2D simulator, generating some plots with simulation results, and then uploading a zipped directory with your code and results to Learn@UW. If you get a chance, you may want to stop by ME 2109 prior to the exam day and make sure everything works as expected from the computers in that room.

The exam will consist of the following:
  • identify and write the constraints associated with a given 2D mechanism
  • calculate consistent initial conditions (position and velocity) for the mechanism
  • generate a pair of ADM and ACF files to perform a specific type of analysis on the given mechanism
  • run the specified analysis (kinematics and/or dynamics) using your simEngine2D simulator
  • generate result plots (e.g., time evolution of the generalized coordinates, velocities. accelerations of a body; time evolution of the motion of a given point on a given body; the path followed by a given point on a given body; time evolution of the reaction forces/torque due to a given joint as acting at a given point on a given body; etc.)
  • upload the code and results to Learn@UW

Note that only 30 points (out of the maximum possible of 100) will depend on your simEngine2D. In other words, even if you do not have a simulator at all, you can still score 70 points.

As mentioned before, the simulator that runs fastest on the given mechanism (of course, while producing the correct results) will translate in an automatic grade A for the author. For this, you must have individually authored at least 75% of the code (you will have to indicate, in good faith, the percentage of your contribution to the code).

In preparation for the exam, please make sure that your simEngine2D simulator supports the following modeling elements:
  • arbitrary number of bodies
  • absolute constraints (all types, both kinematic and driver constraints), revolute joints, absolute and relative distance constraints
  • point (concentrated) forces, RSDA and TSDA force elements
  • calculation of position, velocity, and acceleration of arbitrary points on bodies
  • calculation of reaction forces and torques due to specified joint constraints as acting at a specified point on a specified body

Also, ensure that your code can be invoked from the Matlab command prompt as follows
  Code:
>> simEngine2D('mymodel')

to perform the analysis specified in the file mymodel.acf on the mechanism model provided in the file mymodel.adm.

-Radu
<<

F13niyogi

Unread post Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: Final Exam format

Professor Serban,

What other questions can be expected in the final exam? Will the exam have theoretical questions? like mid term 1 and 2? In other words, what will the distribution be of the remaining 70 points?

Thank you
Anirban
<<

RaduS

Unread post Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Anirban, there will be nothing more than what I described in the original post.
-Radu
<<

F13niyogi

Unread post Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Okay i see what you mean. So the exam will be just 1 problem on kinematic and dynamic analysis of a mechanism. But you would break it down to parts so that the solving the problem doesnt entirely depend on the simEngine2D code. I hope i have understood you correctly. I am sorry for the confusion.

Anirban
<<

F13gabioud

Unread post Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Professor,

A quick question about the final exam. In your post you said that our code is worth 30 points on the exam. Does that mean that this 30 points is an "all or nothing"? In other words if our code is not able to get the exact desired result, we will get 30 points deducted? Or will there be partial credit depending on completeness of the code?

Thanks,
Dan
<<

RaduS

Unread post Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Dan,

I will judge the completeness of your simulator only through its ability to produce the correct results. Having said that, if for example I ask for three sets of plots and you get two of them right then sure, you will get 20 out of the 30 points.

I hope this answers your question,
-Radu
<<

f13meboehm

Unread post Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Will we need to be able to use the mechanism animation that was introduced for assignment 7 on the final exam? You mentioned we should be able to trace the location of a point on a body, but didn't list animation capabilities in the list of things our engine should be capable of.
Thanks,
Marie
<<

RaduS

Unread post Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Marie,

No, you will not have to use the animation function. Assuming I guessed correctly what you refer to, plotting the path followed by a point P on body i is simply generating the curve yPi(t) versus xPi(t).

-Radu
<<

F13thibault.12

Unread post Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:52 am

Hello Dr. Serban,

Is a "cheat sheet" permissible/necessary on the final exam?

Thanks,

Matthew T
<<

RaduS

Unread post Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Yes, you can use a "cheat sheet" - same rules as for the midterm exams.
-Radu
<<

F13holaday

Unread post Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Professor Serban,

I was just reviewing the requirements for our final code and I'm probably reading the sentence below wrong, but do we not have to do relative x, y, and phi, or translational joints?

absolute constraints (all types, both kinematic and driver constraints), revolute joints, absolute and relative distance constraints
• point (concentrated) forces, RSDA and TSDA force elements

Thanks,
Tom
<<

F13dsheppard

Unread post Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Professor Serban,

Will the final exam consist of a written portion, or is it entirely using Matlab? I can interpret your post either way and want to make sure I understand the format of the exam.

Thanks,
Dayton
<<

RaduS

Unread post Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:02 pm

Dayton, there will be a written portion.
-Radu
<<

F13thibault.12

Unread post Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Hello Dr. Serban,

Is the Translational Constraint included in the required constraints for the final exam? Also, you don't mention Relative Constraints or Torques...just want to make sure I include everything I need.

Thanks,

Matthew T
<<

RaduS

Unread post Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:31 pm

I didn't mean for the list in the original post to be exhaustive. I assumed that your simulator would have by now the elements that were required for past Matlab assignments (such as the torque force element). You should have the translational joint coded. If you do not have them already, leave the relative x, y, and angle constraints out (although those are really easy to implement).

-Radu

Return to ME451 Fall 2013: Kinematics and Dynamics of Machine Systems