FAQ  •  Login

Adams importing .iges file

Moderator: RaduS

<<

F13niyogi

Unread post Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:57 am

Adams importing .iges file

Professor Serban,

I am facing problems in importing the cad file in .iges format to adams-view. after i select the file, Adams asks me to specify a 'Part Name' or 'Model Name'
Nothing that i type in the box seems to work.
What should i be typing in the box for adams to open the .iges file? Maybe i am doing something wrong. I tried all permuations with the file name as part name, model name etc. but it shows one of the following errors

ERROR: The parameter 'model_name' is valid only for Interop based translation and not for PDElib. Please specify a 'part_name' instead.
ERROR: "PART_1" is not a known constant, function or variable
ERROR: ( <<PART_1>> )
ERROR: "PART_1" is not a known constant, function or variable
ERROR: ( <<PART_1>> )
ERROR: You are not licensed to use the Interop translator. To proceed,
select another command or contact MSC.Software for a license.

If you would have any idea how to tackle this it would be great. Thank you so much

Thank you
Anirban
<<

RaduS

Unread post Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:29 am

Re: Adams importing .iges file

Looks like CAE doesn't have the license for the ADAMS module for importing/exporting CAD models (ADAMS/Exchange).
What CAD tool did you use?
-Radu
<<

JustinM

Unread post Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:14 pm

You can either 1) create a new part for the IGES geometry, in which case change the pull down box to "Model name", right click on the text box, then select "Browse", and double click the model you are currently working with. Alternatively, you can 2) add the IGES geometry to an existing part in your model, then change the pull down box to "Part Name", right click on the text box, select "Browse", and select the name of the part in the database navigator that you want to associate your input geometry with.

Justin
<<

F13niyogi

Unread post Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Professor Serban,

I am using solidworks 2012 edition. i wanted to import the geometry i had created for the car suspension to adms and analyze that.

Justin,

I tried something similar after searching help online. I will try to do again what you suggested.

Thank you
Anirban
<<

F13niyogi

Unread post Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Since i am getting this error-
ERROR: You are not licensed to use the Interop translator. To proceed,
select another command or contact MSC.Software for a license.

Like Professor Serban said, I assume that CAE does not have the license to import CAD files to adams. I am going to have to do the CAD model in adams itself.

Anirban
<<

JustinM

Unread post Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:00 am

Can you try using a different CAD file format, such as Parasolid? I'm not sure if the file translator is the same in all cases.

Sorry about the confusion, I used Adams in the past and was able to import CAD files. Looks like things have changed.

Return to ME451 Fall 2013: Kinematics and Dynamics of Machine Systems