FAQ  •  Login

Final Exam

<<

F11Wendy

Unread post Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:07 am

Final Exam

The powerpoint says simEngine2d should be able to handle the following: Abs constraints, revolute & translational joint, distance constraints

Just to clarify, does this mean to include ALL of the folowing?: absolute distance, x,y,and theta, rev. and translational joints, and relavitve x,y,theta and distance
Should we cover revolute-rotational and translational distance drivers?

Also, if our translational joint has a Cmotionfunction, I'm not sure how to interpret that physically and include it in the constraint equations. Would it mean that the orientation of the translational joint changes in time with respect the the bodies?
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:35 am

Re: Final Exam

F11Wendy wrote:The powerpoint says simEngine2d should be able to handle the following: Abs constraints, revolute & translational joint, distance constraints

Just to clarify, does this mean to include ALL of the folowing?: absolute distance, x,y,and theta, rev. and translational joints, and relavitve x,y,theta and distance
Should we cover revolute-rotational and translational distance drivers?

Also, if our translational joint has a Cmotionfunction, I'm not sure how to interpret that physically and include it in the constraint equations. Would it mean that the orientation of the translational joint changes in time with respect the the bodies?

No, you don't need revolute-rotational and translational distance drivers.

The Cmotionfunction issue: it means that you have a motion on that translational joint, and that the distance between points Pi and Pj changes like indicated by the Cmotionfunction.

I hope this helps.
Dan
<<

F11Rebecca

Unread post Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:35 pm

My simEngine2D runs quite slowly, so I'm concerned about using it for the final exam. (For the take home exam, it takes my program about an hour to run with step size 0.0005. I can run it with step size 0.005 in 5 minutes, but, at least for the take home, having a larger step size really affects my results.) I'm trying to improve my code so it will work better before the final. If I'm not able to do that, though, what are my options for that part of the final exam?

Thank you!
Reba
<<

F11Jonathan

Unread post Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:14 pm

So the lecture notes say the final is on Tu, Dec. 17 at 2:45 PM. December 17 is Saturday. Is the final on Saturday, Dec. 17 or Tuesday, Dec. 20?
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:03 pm

F11Jonathan wrote:So the lecture notes say the final is on Tu, Dec. 17 at 2:45 PM. December 17 is Saturday. Is the final on Saturday, Dec. 17 or Tuesday, Dec. 20?

Final exam is on Saturday.
Sorry for the confusion.
dan
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:06 pm

F11Rebecca wrote:My simEngine2D runs quite slowly, so I'm concerned about using it for the final exam. (For the take home exam, it takes my program about an hour to run with step size 0.0005. I can run it with step size 0.005 in 5 minutes, but, at least for the take home, having a larger step size really affects my results.) I'm trying to improve my code so it will work better before the final. If I'm not able to do that, though, what are my options for that part of the final exam?

Thank you!
Reba

Reba - if your code runs ok you don't have to worry about how slow it runs. If in the final exam it becomes apparent that it will take some unreasonable amount of time to finish the run, simply cut the Tend, finish the short simulation, and provide the plots that you were asked for. If the plots are for 1/10 of the original Tend; i.e., one tenth of the original simulation length, that wouldn't be a problem. It simply means that very likely you won't the person winning the speed competition.
Dan
<<

F11Wendy

Unread post Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for how to implement support for translational and rotational spring/damper forces/torques in simEngine/adm files?
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:26 am

F11Wendy wrote:Does anyone have suggestions for how to implement support for translational and rotational spring/damper forces/torques in simEngine/adm files?

Wendy - don't implement that, i'm going to send out an email to this effect.
I should have assigned a HW on this topic, which i didn't, so don't move forward on this (unless you want to do it as a side project :)
Dan
<<

F11Brian

Unread post Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:02 pm

Do we need some sort of inverse dynamics code for the final, or do we just need our simEngine2D to be able to handle kinematics and dynamics problems?
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:22 am

F11Brian wrote:Do we need some sort of inverse dynamics code for the final, or do we just need our simEngine2D to be able to handle kinematics and dynamics problems?

Kinematics and Dynamics will do.
Dan
<<

F11Kwang

Unread post Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:13 am

I have a question about the final exam.
As far as I know, there will be a written test and a matlab coding test. I guess I can still bring the equation sheets as references.
But, could I bring any matlab codes in USB thumb drive that I made so far to exam room? If I can recycle the simengine2D code that I made so far for hws, it would be helpful.
Is that possible?
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:08 pm

F11Kwang wrote:I have a question about the final exam.
As far as I know, there will be a written test and a matlab coding test. I guess I can still bring the equation sheets as references.
But, could I bring any matlab codes in USB thumb drive that I made so far to exam room? If I can recycle the simengine2D code that I made so far for hws, it would be helpful.
Is that possible?

Kwang - yes, bring the two sets of cheat sheets that you had for the two midterm exams.

About the code, you *must* do that; i.e., have access (on a memory stick or on your home directory at CAE) to your simEngine2D. You will have to use it to run a simple mechanism that i will provide in the final exam.
If you have other questions post them here, i might not be able to reply promptly since i'm starting the trip back to Madison.
Dan
<<

F11Matthew

Unread post Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:46 pm

What chapters in the book does the final cover?
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:16 pm

F11Matthew wrote:What chapters in the book does the final cover?

1, 2, 3, 6.
However, we covered material that is not in the book (like Newmark, for instance).
My suggestion: use the PPT slides. If you understand what's in there you are in good shape.
Dan

Return to ME451 Fall 2011: Kinematics and Dynamics of Machine Systems