Accessing the Cluster [Newton]

Moderator: Dan Negrut

<<

Andrew Seidl

Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:25 am

Accessing the Cluster [Newton]

Our GPU cluster may be accessed using Remote Desktop Connection on Windows, rdesktop/xfreerdp on Linux, or Remote Desktop Client on MacOSX. You must be inside the College of Engineering's network in order to gain access. This may be done using the ENGR VPN (_not_ WiscVPN), via CAE Remote Desktop using Kaviza, tunneling port 3389 through best-tux, or by being in a CAE lab or using UWNet-Engineering wireless. Additionally you must send me your CAE user name in order to be given permission to access the cluster.

Host: newton.msvc.wisc.edu
User: ENGR\[your CAE username]
Pass: [your CAE password]

Once logged in, you can submit jobs using the HPC Job Manager, found under Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft HPC Pack 2008 R2 -> HPC Job Manager. Detailed instructions for how to do this will be available in the future.

To get files to and from Newton, mount the share \\newton.msvc.wisc.edu\Data and place your files in the directory ME964/[CAE username]

Depending on your setup, it may also be possible to submit jobs directly from your Windows machine by installing HPC Pack Express client utilities. Instructions for how to do this will be available in a future post.

Andrew
<<

Andrew Seidl

Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Accessing the Cluster [Newton]

Those of you from departments outside the College of Engineering must first activate your CAE accounts (if you haven't already) by following the instructions at http://www.cae.wisc.edu/node/829. Once that is done, send me a message with the username you chose.
<<

ME964FuqiangG

Unread post Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:11 pm

what's the email address to send CAE account user name?

Thanks
<<

Andrew Seidl

Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:29 pm

sbel-forum@andrewseidl.com or (preferably) send me a private message here on the forum (hover over my username -> Private Message).
<<

ME964BrianD

Unread post Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:04 am

In regards to:

"To get files to and from Newton, mount the share \\newton.msvc.wisc.edu\Data and place your files in the directory ME964/[CAE username]"

For above to work It appears I need to use the Full and not the Split Tunnel VPN Connection.
<<

Andrew Seidl

Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:36 am

Odd, I have no issues mounting it when using Split Tunnel. Then again, I'm running Linux so maybe Windows (assuming that's what you're running) is not setting up the routing table correctly.

I believe there's an option to the effect of "Use this connection only for resources on its network." Could you play with that and see if it works?
<<

ME964BrianD

Unread post Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Yes it was on my home XP Win32 Box just to clarify
<<

ME964ChinaA

Unread post Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:23 pm

I am unable to mount Newton' Data folder on from my desktop. When I am trying to enter with CAE login id and password, it was not doing anything, just kept on asking me to enter password again. Please clarify.
<<

Andrew Seidl

Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:51 pm

What was the exact path you were trying to mount? Also, make sure you have the domain (ENGR\) in your username, i.e. you would use ENGR\anumolu
<<

ME964ChinaA

Unread post Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Thank you, I was not using ENGR.
<<

ME964JoshA

Unread post Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:30 pm

I just found this easy way to connect to Newton while off campus. It uses putty to tunnel in. Instructions can be found at:

http://kb.wisc.edu/cae/page.php?id=7978

using the autoconfig file just enter: newton.msvc.wisc.edu as the hostname. I found this to be much easier.

Return to ME964 Spring 2011: High Performance Computing