Error on Newton while runnin MPI

Moderator: Dan Negrut

<<

ME964AbhiramiS

Unread post Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:23 pm

Error on Newton while runnin MPI

Could anyone tell me what this means?

Aborting: failed to launch 'mpi.exe' on NEWTON01
Error (14001) The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.
<<

Andrew Seidl

Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: Error on Newton while runnin MPI

I believe the problem is that you are dynamically linking against the C runtime. This is an issue because when you run it the new version (from VS2008SP1) seems to completely block the old one, even if both are installed. But for some reason when compiling Visual Studio insists on linking against the old one.

Easiest fix seems to be to just statically link those libraries into your executable. Watch the video at: http://blog.kalmbach-software.de/2008/0 ... -problems/ If you don't know German, just follow what he clicks. If you do know German, he explains why you are doing it.

A better explanation of what's going on can also be found on that site, http://blog.kalmbach-software.de/2009/0 ... -anything/ Note that Option 2 does not seem to work (I have all 3 possible versions of the redists installed).
<<

ME964AbhiramiS

Unread post Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks, Andrew. For some reason, the video didn't stream completely for me but I was able to fix the error by doing this:

Configuration Properties, General, Configuration Type -> Use MFC in a Static Library
<<

ME964TimothyC

Unread post Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:59 am

Also, if you define _BIND_TO_CURRENT_VCLIBS_VERSION, it should convince Visual Studio to use the latest version instead of the old one. ::)
<<

ME964BenjaminW

Unread post Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:23 pm

HW7 MPI code cuns locally, but won't run on Newton

I have been able to get the example given in class to run on my local machine, but I cannot get it to run on Newton.

I typed into the command line:

mpiexec -n 4 integralmpi.exe 13

Newton gives me this error

Aborting: failed to launch 'integralmpi.exe 13' on NEWTON02
Error (14001) The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

Like I said, when I run it on my machine, I get the same answer that is displayed in the slides. However, I am unsure why it fails on Newton. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben
<<

ME964AbhiramiS

Unread post Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi Benjamin,

This is what I did:

Right click your project in the Solution Explorer pane, click on Properties and go to Configuration Properties, General, Configuration Type
Then choose "Use MFC in a Static Library". Let me know if that works.

Cheers,
Abhirami
<<

ME964BenjaminW

Unread post Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:40 am

HW8 Error on Newton

I tried running my file on Newton, and received this error:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I am not sure what this means. The only thing I did was to take out the MPI stuff and insert #pragma parallel for ahead of the for loop from last weeks code. I am not sure why it keeps failing.

Thanks,

Ben
<<

Dan Negrut

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Ben - before you ran it on Newton, did it run on your local machine? Take a look at the slides to see how to set the /openmp flag to get VS2008 to compile with OpenMP support.
If it runs on your machine you should be able to pick up the executable, copy it to Newton, and run it there.
Dan

Return to ME964 Spring 2011: High Performance Computing