Using HPC Job Manager from your local machine

Moderator: Dan Negrut

<<

Andrew Seidl

Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Using HPC Job Manager from your local machine

The preferred method for submitting jobs is to run HPC Job Manager from your local machine. Unfortunately, HPC Pack only lets you do this if your machine is part of the same domain as the cluster. This is only the case if you log onto the computer via your CAE username (ENGR\%username%).

However, it is possible to run from a non-domain machine if you make a few small changes on your system. Please note that this method is in no way supported by Microsoft and may be 'corrected' in the future.

First, add Newton to your hosts file. Under WIndows 7, this is in the folder %systemroot%\System32\drivers\etc. Add a line containing the IP address of the head node and then the name you want to refer to it as. For example, Newton's IP is 128.104.189.228. To refer to it directly as newton, in your hosts file, add the line '128.104.189.228 newton'. This name can be anything you wish - newton, headnode, gpucluster, etc. If you run into permissions issues, manually give users right permissions to the file.

Next, open Credential Manager in Windows (Control Panel -> User Accounts) and add a Windows Credential for the host name you put in the hosts file (eg, newton). The internet/network address is the name you gave, username is ENGR\[your CAE username], and password is your CAE password.

Finally, install HPC Pack from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... 4F19C149AD

Once HPC Pack is installed, you should be able to start HPC Job Manager. The address for the headnode should be the name you gave in the hosts file (newton). If everything is set up correctly, you should see the Job Manager and can proceed as usual. If you get an error about rejected credentials, make sure your hosts file is set correctly and the password you entered in Credential Manager is correct. Also be sure ENGR\ is capitalized - I sometimes had issues if it was lowercase.
<<

Andrew Seidl

Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Using HPC Job Manager from your local machine

To reiterate: *please* follow these steps to install HPC Pack on your own machine if at all possible. We currently can only have a certain number of users logged in via Remote Desktop at once, so this will greatly reduce possible issues.

Additionally, I have placed a 15 minute limit on inactive/disconnected sessions. If you must use Remote Desktop, only stay logged in long enough to submit your job and check on its progress. Log out (not just close the window) when you are done.
<<

ME964BenjaminC

Unread post Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Next, open Credential Manager in Windows (Control Panel -> User Accounts) and add a Windows Credential for the host name you put in the hosts file (eg, newton). The internet/network address is the name you gave, username is ENGR\[your CAE username], and password is your CAE password.

Hi Andrew,

I'm running XP, when I go to (Control Panel -> User Accounts) I don't see anything about Windows Credentials. Do I need to do something differently with XP?

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Cantrell
Research Assistant
Engine Research Center
University of Wisconsin - Madison
<<

Andrew Seidl

Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Hmm, I haven't touched XP in ~5 years, not sure what the equivalent would be.

Try remote desktopping to the name you chose, but make sure you tell it to save credentials. That may be the same.
<<

ME964BenjaminC

Unread post Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm able to remote desktop onto the head node without problem, and I told it to save credentials. However, when I try using HPC with newton it still says "The server has rejected the client credentials.".
Ben Cantrell
Research Assistant
Engine Research Center
<<

Andrew Seidl

Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306541

If it's still doing it, you'll have to just use Remote Desktop for now. A different way to get around this is to VPN into the head node, though I have not set that up yet.
<<

ME964BenjaminC

Unread post Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:05 pm

That worked, thanks! Here's a summary for XP users:

- Double click on Control Panel -> User Accounts
- Go to the Advanced tab and click on Manage Passwords
- Click Add and fill in the information (newton, CAE username, password)
Ben Cantrell
Research Assistant
Engine Research Center
<<

ME964BrianD

Unread post Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:34 pm

After repeated attempts to get access to Newton and repeatedly getting kicked off (this is really annoying). I Installed HPC job manager on Win7 and I think I can connect though I do not see any jobs. In a heated race with molasses... HPC job manager remote comes in a distant second. i.e. it's slower than molasses.

So while there may be pentaflops waiting to be utilized access remains an issue and the tools leave something to be desired.

Linux as I recall has no concept of Client licenses.
<<

ME964BrianD

Unread post Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:42 am

As of this morning (9:39 AM) HPC job manager is more responsive. Early to bed early to rise means .... I might actually be able to get HW8 to run on newton.
<<

ME964BrianD

Unread post Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:23 pm

HPC job manager remote has been acting very sluggish and I am unable to remote into Newton via RDP. Suggestions?

Return to ME964 Spring 2011: High Performance Computing